Saturday, February 14, 2009

Personal Branding - You Are the Fulcrum


“Give me a place to stand,” said Archimedes, “and I will move the world.”

As you probably know, a fulcrum is the pivot point for a lever. And we know that Archimedes was planning to use a lever to move the world. But a lever by itself is worthless. It needs the fulcrum to actually do the leveraging. You are that fulcrum.

Part of a good brand is being focused on a dream that you want to come true. It is the thing that drives a personal brand. While branding is about creating impressions - it is also about the process of being who we want to become. It is not about what we are. We achieve our goals by being the fulcrum. And to lift the goal we need to place some things on our lever. We leverage ourselves my relying on several things.

archimedes


  • Get a Mentor - someone who has been there before. They can help you make good career choices and avoid misteps.

  • Build a Team around you - these are a close set of confidants who can help you and you can help them. You are stronger when you have a team.

  • Build a network. Have a big rolodex. I like to use Linkedin. We all know about the six degrees of separation and there are really very few steps between you and anyone on the planet.

  • Use the internet and social networks to communicate your message and to stay in touch.

  • Pay Attention to synchronicity. Carl Jung referred to synchronicity as "meaningful coincidences" Recently I have been cataloguing the meaningful coincidences that happen to me. As I begin to focus my brand I have found that more "coincidences" happen to me. Maybe its a spiritual thing - I don't know - I just know to follow the lead.

  • Keep a focus on your goal. For some reason when you align your skills, your dreams, your ego, your energy, your everything - you become a magnet for opportunity.

Living at the Nexus of Technology, Service, Marketing and Evangelism @ JeffreyBlake.com

No comments: